The boys charged me with the task of making them a Finn doll. I went to the internet to find a pattern because the show seems pretty popular. I expected scores of patterns, or at least pictures of other people’s work to inspire me. Literally, all I found was this picture on dozens of websites. Here’s my contribution.
So this time I decided I would really sit down and think hard about each step, write down every stitch and have a respectable pattern. I failed. I REALLY suck at pattern writing.
Before I get carried away, the materials:
-blue, dark blue, tan, white, black (worsted weight) -I would give the color names but the skeins are so old that I lost the tags long ago. I do know that it’s all red heart except the tan, which is some shade of Vanna’s Choice.
-tapestry needle, buttons, floss or whatever else you have on hand to weave in ends and give Finn a face.
Everything is done in continuous rounds unless otherwise noted
I couldn’t find my safety eyes but I doubt they would’ve done much good (too big). A few small blue buttons worked out alright. I would reccomend making french knots for the eyes but I suck at them and avoid them at all costs.
The arms are a 2ch i-cord. I usually just crochet the i-cord because I have jack for knitting needles, let alone DPNs. a 2ch one isn’t too hard but when you need 3+ stitches it’s time to pull out the DPNs. If you’re not a knitter, don’t hyperventilate. Knitted i-cords are the easiest things in the world to make. There’s just too many loops to focus on with more than 2 stitches. I would say about 3-4 inches of this or so. I didn’t measure, just so it looks good in relation to the body. I did some shaping for the hands. Without breaking the yarn I crocheted back on the cord a little, just to give it a bump so it didn’t look so… cord-like.
The legs are the same but a 3 stitch i-cord to make them look slightly meatier. A 2ch cord looked too thin. I had to pull out the dpns for this and the only set I had was much larger (I think a 9?) so if you actually have a size of needles comparable to a D hook you may need to throw on another stitch.
1. 5 sc in adjustable ring
2. 2 sc in each sc (10)
3. *2 sc in next sc, sc* repeat to the end of the row (15)
4. *2sc, sc in next 2* repeat (20)
5. *2sc, sc in next 3* repeat (25)
6. *2sc, sc in next 4* repeat (30)
7-13. sc (30)
sl st the last stitch and finish off with an invisible join. Just a note with the invisible join. It has a way of sneaking in an extra stitch so be sure to count your next row and dec to make it 30 stitches. When I do the join I prefer to skip the very next stitch that you’re supposed to join to and join to the following stitch. It prevents this problem.
Invisible join and attach dk blue
34. *dec, sc in next 4* repeat (25)
35. *dec, sc in next 3* repeat (20)
36. *dec, sc in next 2* repeat (15)
37. *dec, sc in next sc* repeat (10)
break yarn leaving a long enough tail to close the hole. Stuff and finish.
With white, follow the first 6 rows of the body
8-13. sc 23, ch1, turn
14. sc 23, ch 7, join to other side.
15. sc, finish off with invisible join
the ear thingies:
1. 4 sc in adjustable ring
2. inc, sc, inc, sc
5. sc 4 and without ch1 turn and sc 3
finish off and leave a long enough tail to attach to the hat.
Things really start falling apart at the feet. The long and short of it is if you’ve ever crocheted socks do something like that. Only much much smaller.
The sock part of the shoes is just white yarn attached to the top and crocheted in the round about 3-4 rows and then folded over.
4 sc in ring and sc for 3 rows
I decided to do something different with the shorts legs because making separate pant legs just didn’t look right when I attached them. Sc directly onto the bottom of the body making a circle with about 7 sc. Sc another 2-3 rows. If you haven’t gone through the trouble of making separate hat ears and sleeves already maybe it wouldn’t be a bad idea to do the same thing with them as well.
Slide the icords into the sleeves, shorts legs and shoes and attach to the body.
Sorry for the rambling set of misdirections but there’s a sad lack of Adventure Time amigurumi patterns on the internet (free ones anyway). I assume a veteran amigurumi artist could follow what I’m saying but then again a veteran amigurumi artist could make their own without my help. And I know there’s a significant lack of back pack. I’ll get to it. Someday…